On March 4, 2013 Bravo is debuting a new reality series called LA Shrinks, a show that follows three Los Angeles shrinks in both their professional and personal worlds. Doctors being showcased in the program include Eris Huemer, a PsyD licensed marriage and family therapist, and author of Break-Up Emergency; Dr. Venus Nicolino, a PhD life consultant and mother to four boys; and finally Dr. Gregory Cason, a PhD psychologist specializing in cognitive therapy.
Since Valentine’s Day is here, and it’s one of the most dreaded or beloved holiday of them all, Reality Nation got together with Dr. Eris Huemer to ask for some non-lovey-dovey Valentine’s Day tips, like what to do if you’re suffering from a break up. Her advice was as follows:
6 Tips To Surviving a Valentine’s Day Break Up by Dr. Eris Huemer
1. Don’t wallow in self-pity – Get out of bed! You might not be in a relationship but that does not mean that your life is over, it means that it is about to begin.
2. Spend some time alone with “me, myself and I” – Spring cleaning doesn’t just have to come once a year! Cleanse your environment. Don’t just sweep things under the rug. Get rid of things that negatively remind you of your past in non-constructive ways (i.e. pictures in picture frames, his favorite t-shirt that you hang onto and sleep in every night.)
3. Get up and get out! – Be around people and socialize. Instead of having a pity party, go out and celebrate! Go to a singles event or create one. Celebrate by inviting your single friends over for a cocktail party. Ask each person to bring another single friend to the party.
4. Say, “Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.” – Write a gratitude list of at least 10 things that you are grateful for. This will help you to focus on the positive things in your life and take the edge off the heaviness that you might be feeling.
5. Reflect on your Valentine’s Day – How is your life going to be different from here on out? Contemplate what you want to start doing with your life next. Write down your goal and the steps that you need to take to get there. Now take those steps! It is what I call, “MapQuesting” your life.
6. Finally, Love Yourself – Bottom line is you must love yourself first before you can ever love anyone else.
To see more of what Dr. Eris and the other shrinks have to say about life, love and relationships, don’t forget to tune into LA Shrinks on Mondays at 10/9 C, starting March 4. For a sneak peek of the series go to Bravo.com.